here is our step by step process:
- begin by cleaning your piece with an ammonia based cleaner such as dirtex (this applies to reasonably "dirty" pieces i.e. dusty, "normal" dirt) for truly greasy or grimy pieces a more thorough cleaning process may be necessary!
- once the piece is clean, paint two coats of chalk paint® by annie sloan in french linen allowing proper dry time between coats
- apply a coat of pearl plaster in crazy, x mark brush strokes creating texture in the pearl plaster (this will come into play when you get to the dark wax)
- occasionally I apply a second coat of pearl plaster once the first coat is dry. usually I do this on the flat areas of the piece (the top and sides) the curvy, detailed areas usually only need one coat.
- when the pearl plaster has dried (it is a very quick dry time just like annie's paint!) apply annie or miss mustard seed's dark wax thinned with a bit of citrus solvent or mineral spirits.
- wipe the dark wax back with a soft lint free cloth